Photos taken by Teacher Candidate Talia

On September 28, 2023, we as a cohort were given the opportunity to meet and play with the UNHBC drummers around UNBC’s firepit. Four members came, bringing with them extra drums and shakers, to meet with us and teach us traditional songs and songs from across Canada from nations outside of Lheidli T’enneh. It was a beautiful experience, and I am so incredibly thankful that I was given the ability to share this experience with my cohort.

Playing music and singing amongst our peers felt very grounding and really allowed us all to connect with one another in a new and beautiful way while also learning more about a culture that was distinct from our own (well, at least from mine).

I was especially inspired by the meanings of each song, and how moving the songs were. Unfortunately, I cannot remember the titles of any of the songs, but that of the Eagle Song; However, I did record some of our performances to share with friends and family and hopefully on this platform if I find the ability to do so.