Educators engage in professional learning.

When I was still considering what I could write for this Standard my thoughts flickered between the topic of Professional development days and that of my Practicums both observational and experimental practicums. As of today (I am writing this on February 27th, 2024) I have decided that both topics are of equal value and that in this post I will discuss both topics.

Professional Development Days.

During my brief time now as a Teacher Candidate, I have had the opportunity to participate in multiple Professional Development Days (PDD) both through online platforms and in-person lectures and workshops. PDD’s are select days throughout the school year in which are dedicated to the continued learning of Education professionals in their topic areas, encourage collaboration of ideas, and discuss new practices for teachers to implement within their classrooms. Essentially, PDD’s exist to help teacher hone their expertise in the classroom while also encouraging teachers to expand their knowledge on a variety of subject matters ranging from classroom management, racism, and ableism, all the way to introduce new topics and materials teachers could utilise within their classrooms.

In my short time in the Teaching world, I have appreciated the PDD’s that I have been able to attend. My first Professional Day was hosted at a local high school in their theatre auditorium, and the Speaker was Nigaan Sinclair as part of SD57’s Indigenous Day of Learning on September 18th.  Unfortunately, I had to attend via Zoom due to illness, however, I still was able to take in the message of the panel – appropriation and the need for self-education in topics of culture and religions outside of our own. This panel encouraged reflective thought amongst all participants through the use of storytelling and visual representation.

My next few PDD’s all fell within the realm of resource teaching and understanding the diversity amongst our students and peers with a primary focus on Autism, Neurodiversity and English Language Learning (ELL). I chose these topics as they are of great interest to me as I hope to one day work within the realms of resource teaching and ELL at the secondary level. Through these workshops, I was able to make connections and obtain resources I would have been less likely to make without attendance. I especially am thankful that through my last PDD, I was able to connect with someone from LATA (Learning Assistance Teachers Association) who gave me notice of some private online LATA workshops that I could attend outside of my Practicum. I have, as of now, attended two of these such workshops – one on Trauma Informed Practices (TIP) and one on Ableism in the classroom, each has introduced me to new ways of thinking and working within my future classroom.

Practicum

One of the best ways to learn is to be able to observe and work alongside those who have years of experience under their belts. As of February 28, 2024, I have participated in two practicums – one of which is currently ongoing. Our first practicum occurred at a selection of both secondary and primary schools across the district where we teacher candidates were able to witness a variety of ways experienced teachers organise, manage and engage their classroom and students.

Being able to learn from those with previous knowledge of the career area is something I found very useful, for every teacher has different tips and tricks on working within a classroom and many more tips on what we as future teachers should not be doing in the classroom. Observational learning is beneficial I will not deny that, as it inspires us teacher candidates to implement some of the tactics and strategies we have witnessed within our classrooms with a personal twist.

Something that I am working on implementing within my current practicum class is the use of discussion-based learning. Through my first practicum, I realized I am quite comfortable in front of a class but I lecture at my students more than I collaborate with them and that isn’t beneficial in the long term for my student’s learning. I also am quite stagnant in my movement, I stay within a 15 feet radius. I would not have realised that this was something problematic if my CT hadn’t pointed this out to me I probably would not have noticed, but due to the layout of my practicum classroom movement throughout is necessary to interact with all students and discourages inattention, while also making it easier for the instructor to notice disengagement before it begins. Proximity allows the instructor to redirect misbehaviour quickly, simply by standing next to specific students while continuing to teach.

Teachers are continuously learning and are constantly participating in learning activities either within the classroom itself or within specifically created and organized professional development activities. While I find PDD extremely beneficial I believe that through the observation of other professional teachers, we are able to better utilise tools and skills in the classroom to better our student’s educational experience.

Notes I took during the LATA conference on TIP